RECAP | Voss' Double Overtime Goal Sinks Saints, Gives Grizzlies Thrilling Win

Abbey Voss (#4) is mobbed by her teammates after scoring the winning goal. Photo courtesy of Quinn Fitzgerald
Abbey Voss (#4) is mobbed by her teammates after scoring the winning goal. Photo courtesy of Quinn Fitzgerald

FRANKLIN, Ind. – Sophomore midfielder Abbey Voss scored her second goal of the game with 1:16 left in double overtime on Wednesday (Apr. 17), propelling the Franklin women's lacrosse team to a 10-9 win over Thomas More College under the lights at Faught Stadium.

In a meeting of Heartland Collegiate Lacrosse Conference (HCLC) foes, the Grizzlies (1-6, 1-3 HCLC) and Saints (1-8, 0-3 HCLC) battled in a nail-biting contest, scoring one goal each in the final minute of regulation to force OT. Brooke Hughes netted six goals for Franklin while Kendall Hovis and Voss buried two each to round out the scoring for Franklin.

The Saints got on the board just 31 seconds into the game, but Franklin answered with a free position goal from Hovis and an unassisted tally by Hughes to take their first lead with 10 minutes gone in the game. Hughes netted her second of the night on a give-and-go with Haley Ash to make it 3-2 Grizzlies with 15 minutes to play in the first half, but a 3-0 Thomas More run gave the visitors their largest lead of the night at 5-3 with 10 minutes left in the half.

Hughes evened things back up with two goals just 2:12 apart, but Franklin trailed 6-5 at the break following a late first half goal by Thomas More's Katie Rice.

The two defenses took over to start the second half, as neither team hit the net until another Rice goal made it 7-5 Saints with 18:35 to play. But the Grizzlies would re-claim the lead with the next three tallies, with Hughes' sixth of the night madding it an 8-7 game with 7:43 to play.

Rice answered with the tying goal just 22 second later, but the offenses dried up until Voss buried her first goal on her eighth shot attempt with 1:15 to play. But the Saints would have an answer, winning the ensuing draw, raced down the field and netted the game-tying marker with 55 seconds to play on a free position shot.

Both goalies stood tall in overtime, setting the stage for a second extra session. With time winding down and the Saints in possession, Sam Collier forced a turnover and relayed the ball up to Voss, who broke in down the right side and fired a shot just under the bar for the game-winner.

Shots for the night were 38-36 in favor of Franklin with Hughes leading all player with 14 shot attempts. The senior and team captain also led the Grizzlies with three caused turnovers while scooping up a pair of ground balls.

Sophomore Courtney Jones tied with Voss for the most ground balls with four while standing on her head in the cage to the tune of a career-high 24 saves. Voss also ended the night with a team-high six draw controls.

Franklin closes out their home schedule on Saturday (Apr. 20) afternoon, welcoming Earlham College to Faught Stadium for Senior Day. The opening draw is set for 1:00 p.m.