Franklin College Athletics Sportsmanship Policy
“Win with Class”
The Franklin College athletic department enthusiastically endorses the ideals of the NCAA and the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference on the priority of good sportsmanship at collegiate athletic events. We want our student fans especially to recognize how much their support means to the men and women who represent Franklin College in athletic competition. All our student-athletes enjoy the atmosphere of a vocal, enthusiastic home crowd. However, we want to define and reinforce what is appropriate in demonstrating that support. Simply put, we ask the Grizzly faithful to be positive in the support of our Franklin teams without being derisive or disrespectful toward opponents.
Our coaching staff is committed to the priority of representing Franklin College with class on and off the field or court. We remind players that this responsibility goes with the privilege of wearing a Franklin College uniform. We expect our sports programs to be respected not only because we win, but also because we do so with class. We expect no less from our fans—especially student fans—and we expect that effort to be led by those who are student-athletes.
It is our hope that student leaders will take it upon themselves to insist that their peers honor the “Win with Class” principle:
“Franklin College fans create a loud, enthusiastic home court/field advantage for the Grizzlies by encouraging the efforts of the home team without being disrespectful to opposing players, coaches, fans or game officials.”
Franklin College has an obligation to insure the safety of participants and spectators as well as the integrity of the event. The college is also accountable to the NCAA and the Heartland Conference for compliance with the sportsmanship guidelines of each organization.
Guidelines which apply to all athletic events hosted at Franklin College include:
1. No alcoholic beverages are allowed at the site of athletic events. Persons possessing alcohol will be removed from the event. Persons exhibiting symptoms of intoxication and/or underage persons exhibiting symptoms of consumption will be subject to college disciplinary action and/or arrest.
2. No signs, banners, shirts, etc., may contain profane, vulgar or inappropriate words or expressions. (The rule of thumb in determining what is appropriate is whether you would be embarrassed if your parents or younger sibling saw the item.) Persons carrying or wearing such items will be removed from the event.
3. Organized chants may not contain profanity, vulgarity or inappropriate personal references. Individuals using profanity or inappropriate language or gestures will be subject to removal from the event. (See rule of thumb in #2 above.)
4. Fans who directly confront, challenge, or intimidate opposing players, coaches, fans, or game officials will be removed from the event. Such fans will be prohibited from attending future athletic events.
5. Fans who disregard or interfere with the directions of security personnel, game administrators or other college officials will be removed from the event, subject to disciplinary action and/or arrest, and prohibited from attending future athletic events.
We appreciate your enthusiastic support of all the Grizzly athletic teams, and we know you will help us “Win with Class.”