Steve Alan Nelson ’90 has been inducted into the Franklin College Athletic Hall of Fame as a player.
As a freshman, Nelson was a part of a team that finished in the top 20 in the nation the previous two years. On a team full of junior and seniors, he emerged immediately as the number two man and came within three-tenths of a point of having the best stroke average on one of the best teams in Franklin College history.
The hallmark of Nelson’s playing career was his remarkable consistency. He posted an outstanding four-year career scoring average of 75.65. This was even more impressive, considering that he played the second most competitive tournaments among Franklin College golfers.
There have been only two players in the last 23 years at Franklin College who have posted a season average that is lower than Nelson’s worst season scoring average. Those two players bettered his worst year by less than a stroke. It has been said that Nelson had the best hands and one of the purest swings in the game. He had desire and drive to play golf, no matter what the course or conditions. Nelson finished his career with 112 tournament rounds played, which is the second most ever for a Franklin College golfer.
As an alumnus, Nelson has remained very connected to the Franklin College golf program. As an assistant golf professional at Hillview Country Club in Franklin, he had regular contact with and provided assistance to the players. After moving on to a head golf professional job at another course, Nelson was instrumental in starting the first golf tournament to raise money for the golf program. Though no longer working in the golf profession, Steve continues to participate in these programs to support the team.
Nelson is married to Trish (Cornett) Nelson, class of ’91. They have two children, Megan and Morgan.
Donald A. Treibic ’65 has been inducted into the Franklin College Athletic Hall of Fame as a friend.
Treibic entered Franklin College in September 1960. He was a resident of “Old” Bryan Hall. In the year of 1985, as a member of Kappa Delta Rho fraternity, Treibic was inducted into the National Order of Honor.
During his junior and senior years at FC, he was manager of the football team under former head coach Stewart “Red” Faught.
After graduating from Franklin College with a degree in English, Treibic went on to earn his master’s degree in secondary school administration at Indiana University. He began teaching in January of 1965 and taught at Indianapolis, Greensburg, Turkey Run, and Whiteland.
In 1967, he began a 21-year career as head football announcer for his alma mater.
In August of 1970, Treibic began working for the state Department of Education as the Director of Federal Aid to the Public Schools. He continued this position until June of 1982, when he entered the field of commercial real estate. Treibic joined F.C. Tucker Company in 1986. He is now the principle and senior vice president for industrial services at Collier, Turley, Martin and Tucker in Indianapolis.
Treibic is a life member of the President’s Club and a two-time winner of the George C. Charbonneau Award for Leadership and Performance. He co-founded Franklin College’s Touchdown Club along with Harold “Butch” Lawson, John Chiarotti ’67 and Jay Hunsucker ’75.
Treibic and his wife, the former Candy Poindexter ’65, have three children, Adam, Indiana University class of 1990, Paul ’93, and Christine ’97.
Gene A White ’58 has been inducted into the Franklin College Athletic Hall of Fame as a coach.
A member of the famous 1954 Milan High School state championship basketball team, White attended Franklin College and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. He continued his education at Indiana University, receiving his master’s degree in education in 1966.
White played on the Franklin College men’s basketball team for four years. He was All-Conference in the 1957 and 1958 seasons. White began his coaching career at Milan Junior High School in 1960, where he also taught math and physics. In 1963, he began coaching cross-country for Batesville High School, where he also taught math and physics. White was named athletic director in 1965.
Starting in 1970, and continuing through 1985, White returned to Milan as a teacher, coach, and athletic director. Milan’s basketball team made it to the semi-state round in 1973. He was the varsity coach at Milan in 1982 through 1985. White moved to Franklin and taught mathematics and was the assistant girls basketball coach at Franklin Community High School from 1985 until 1987.
In 1987, White began his first coaching experience at Franklin College and continued through 1994. During those years, the Grizzlies won conference titles three consecutive seasons, starting with the 1991-1992 season. White completed that campaign as runner-up in the NAIA District 21 Tournament with a 23-6 record. He was the first coach to guide a Franklin College team in any sport to a post-season tournament in the NCAA Division III, with his 1993-94 squad. In 1997, White retired from high school teaching and began assisting with the FCHS girls basketball team for two years.
White returned to coach Franklin College women’s basketball in 1998 and continued there for three seasons, each year finishing as runner-up in the HCAC tournament. White finished with four Coach of the Year honors, 1991-92 (HCW), 1992-93 (HCW), 1993-94 (ICAC), and 1998-99 (HCAC). White is the second winningest women’s basketball coach at FC with a 158-95 (.625) record.
White and his wife, Anita, have three children, Pamela Green, Paula Sutton, and William White. They have seven grandchildren, Jessica Laguna, Logan Sutton, Kelsey Green, Harrison Green, Matthew White, Ashley White, Anthony White, and one great-grandchild, Katrina Laguna.
Harold “Harry” L. King ’27 has been inducted into the Franklin College Athletic Hall of Fame as a player.
King was a member of the legendary “Wonder Five” team at Franklin High School that won two state championships. He enrolled at Franklin College in 1923, a year later than other members of the “Wonder Five” squad. King was president of his freshman class and a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. For the first three years at Franklin College he was on both the football and basketball squads. His senior year, he played only basketball. As captain of the 1927 team, King led his squad to defeat Notre Dame, which was the only defeat Notre Dame had that season.
After graduation, King went on to teach “Boys Gym” and coach at Bosse High School in Evansville. The depression era of the ‘30s meant have dual jobs, so King refereed and joined the National Guard; all while taking summer courses at Columbia. He and the basketball team were hired in the summer to deliver cereal samples door-to-door.
King was mobilized with the National Guard in 1940. He returned to coaching at the end of World War II. King’s teams won two sectionals, regionals and semifinals. One of King’s main athletic achievements as a coach was his success in getting “his boys” into college through athletic scholarships. A number of these players went on to become successful coaches. King coached at Bosse for eighteen years, before health reasons forced him to retire in 1951. He taught for two more years before passing away in December of 1953.
King had deep roots at Franklin College. He was a descendant of George King, who donated the land for the college. He was married to Pauline Casady ’27. His sister, Margaret ’28, sister-in-law, Katharine (Casady) pace ’23 and brother-in-law, Hubert Thomasson ’28, are alumni. King and his wife had a son, Charles.